Microsoft released on Monday (30/4/2018) the last big update for Windows 10, known as “Windows 10 April 2018 Update Version 1803”. But, as usually happens with many updates, the new Windows 10 1803 update, fails to install on some PC’s for unclear reasons.
When the installation of Windows 10 v1803 update failed, the users faces one of the following symptoms on their systems:
Symptom No1: When the download of Windows 10 April 2018 v1803 update is completed, Windows restarts to install update. But, after the system restart, the system stuck during the update installation or at Windows Logo and the only method to get the PC back, is to force shutdown the machine using the Power switch.
Symptom No2: During the installation of the v1803 update on Windows 10, the system suddenly restarts and starts to revert changes and goes to the previous Windows 10 version (v1709). When the previous version is restored, the system starts to download again the latest update for Windows 10 v1803, but the installation of the update, always fails with the same symptoms or gives the error 0xc1900101.
How to fix: Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803 Failed to install.
Suggestions: Before proceeding to update your system:
1. Completely uninstall any 3rd party antivirus or security program from your system, before installing the update.
2. Disconnect any USB connected devices that you don’t need. (e.g. USB Wireless Mouse or Keyboard Receiver, USB Wireless Network Card, etc.).
3. If you have enabled the device encryption on your system (BitLocker, VeraCrypt), then proceed and decrypt the drive C: before installing the update.
4. Be patient…the update takes a few hours to download and install.
5. Before applying the methods mentioned below, try the following:
1. Run the ‘Windows Update Troubleshooter’ from Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Windows Update.
2. Download and install the latest Servicing Stack Update for Windows 10 v1709 (KB4090914).
3. Try to install the Update.
Method 1. Force Windows 10 to Download the Update v1803 from Scratch.
Step 1. Delete the Windows Update folder.
The Windows Update folder (C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution), is the location where Windows stores the new updates after downloading them. In many cases, the “SoftwareDistribution” folder’s contents become corrupted and cause problems during downloading or installing updates. At these cases all these problems can be easily bypassed if you delete the “SoftwareDistribution” folder and its contents in order to force Windows to re-download the update(s).
To delete the Windows Update folder:
1. Simultaneously press the Win + R keys to open the run command box.
2. Type the following command and press OK.
3. From the list of services, at the right pane locate the Windows Update service.
4. Right click on “Windows Update” service and choose Stop. *
5. Close “Services” window.
* Note: If you cannot stop the Windows Update service, then:
a. Double click on it to open its Properties.
b. Set the Startup type to Disabled and click OK.
c. Restart your computer.
d. After restart, continue below.
6. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:Windows folder.
7. Locate and then Delete the SoftwareDistribution folder. *
1. If you cannot delete the folder with error “Folder in use – try again”, then restart Windows in “Safe Mode” and repeat the procedure.
2. If you have disabled the Windows Update service (Startup type = Disabled), then go to services and set the Startup type to Automatic.
8. Restart your computer.
Step 2. Download and try to install the Update v1803.
1. After the restart, go to Start > Settings > Update & Security.
2. Click Check for updates.
3. Finally let Windows to download and install the update again.
Method 2. Download & Install the Windows 10 April 2018 v1803 Update Manually.
The second method, to resolve the issues while downloading or installing the Windows 10 April 2018 update 1803, is to download and install the update using the “Windows Update Assistant”: To do that:
1. Follow the instructions at Step-1 from Method-2 above and delete the “SoftwareDistribution” folder.
2. Navigate to Windows 10 download site and click the Update now button.
3. When asked, click to Run the “Windows10Upgrade9252.exe” file to start the installation immediately, or click the Save button to run the installer later.
4. Finally click the Update Now button and follow the on screen prompts to install the Update.
Method 3. FIX Windows corruption errors with DISM & SFC tools.
1. Open command prompt as administrator. To do that:
1. In the Search box type: cmd or command prompt
2. Right click on the command prompt (result) and select Run as Administrator.
2. At the command prompt window, type the following command & press Enter:
- Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth
3. Be patient until DISM repairs component store. When the operation is completed, (you should be informed that the component store corruption was repaired), give this command and press Enter:
- SFC /SCANNOW
4. When SFC scan is completed, restart your computer.
5. Try to update your system again.
Method 4. Install Windows 10 v1803 Update with an in-place Upgrade.
Another method that usually works, to fix Windows 10 update problems, is to perform a Windows 10 Repair-Upgrade, by using the Media Creation tool to create an ISO or USB Windows 10 install media. For that task follow the detailed instructions on this article: How to repair Windows 10.
That’s it! Which method worked for you?
Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.
Even $1 can a make a huge difference for us in our effort to continue to help others while keeping this site free:
If this article was useful for you, please consider supporting us by making a donation.in our effort to continue to help others while keeping this site free:
We’re looking for part-time or full-time technical writers to join our team! It’s about a remote position that qualified tech writers from anywhere in the world can apply. Click here for more details.
constantly protected from malware threats, existing and future ones, we recommend that you install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO by clicking below (we
do earn a commision from sales generated from this link, but at no additional cost to you. We have experience with this software and we recommend it because it is helpful and useful):
Full household PC Protection – Protect up to 3 PCs with NEW Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium!
If you want to stayfrom malware threats,, we recommend that you installby clicking below (we do earn a commision from sales generated from this link, but at no additional cost to you. We have experience with this software and we recommend it because it is helpful and useful):